Thursday, February 4, 2010

No oil in my muffins! SAY WHAT?

A client of mine asked me to make him some OIL-free muffins. What you talkin' 'bout Willis? I didn't actually say that, but I thought it for sure. Muffins made without oil? How the heck will they be moist? That's like hot bisquits without butter. Oh no! I was up for the task and gladly took on the challenge. Boy, am I ever glad I did! After a little trial and error, I have perfected my recipe and am SOOOOO in love with these scrumptious, waist-friendlier (there I go making up words again), ever tasty, little baked goodies. Throw your hair up and get to baking these amazing muffins right now! Seriously, stop what your doing, get a pad and paper-heck copy and paste this recipe, and get to baking! Your family, honey, and tastebuds will thank you! Trust me. What is the secret ingredient? Other than your obvious BakingBeauty and BakingHandsome love? The secret is applesauce! Here it goes...

CattyCakes Yummy Applesauce Muffins

Ingredients for muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (or freshly grated if you have it)
2 large eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (or regular applesauce-it works too)
1 cup dried cranberries

Side note: I've also made these muffins with 1/2 Cup dried cranberries w/ 1/2 Cup blueberries, 1/2 Cup mashed strawberries w/ 1 mashed ripe banana, 1 Cup pecans or walnuts (coarsely chopped)

For topping:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground pumpkin spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or freshly grated if you have it)
Stir together in a small bowl and set aside.

Bakeware:
Muffin pan w/ 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups (I use a Wilton, dark, non-stick muffin pan)
Paper Baking Cups (I use Reynolds in Pastels for baking fashion)

How to make these tasty treats:
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.  (I bake my muffins on the middle rack)
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and all spices.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar until well combined. Next, add in butter, a little at a time. Whisk together until mixture is creamy. Stir in applesauce, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened. Do not overmix. Stir in dried cranberries and divide batter among prepared baking cups. I use a ice cream scooper. It's about a tablespoon and a half. Sprinkle muffin tops with topping mixture (a pinch per muffin will do). Bake until muffins are puffed and golden brown, about 18 minutes depending upon your individual oven. Cool in a pan for 5 minutes, then remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack slightly or until you just can't take it anymore and one makes it way into your mouth! Enjoy!

Brainy Baking Tip: muffins stored in airtight container keep for 1 day at room temperature, longer in the fridge, and even longer in the freezer.

More of a visual person? Me, too.


Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl. Don't forget to whisk.

The Spices...

Eggs and light brown sugar get their whisk on too.

Stir in melted butter, a little at a time. Mmm. Butter.

Motts applesauce-not oil! I know. trust me. It works!

Fold dry ingredients into wet-just until moistened. What the heck does that mean?

It means, this! This is what "just until moistened" looks like.

Bring on the Craisins! Get the big bag at Costco and save $$! Tell 'em CattyCakes sent ya. Hehe.

Today, I used 1/2 Cup blueberries and 1/2 Cup of Dried Cranberries. Mmm!

Using my handy dandy ice cream scooper, I filled each baking cup w/ muffin mixture.

Like so...

My muffin cup doth not runneth over. Sorry, lil' baking humor.
BTW-add a little more mixture to any wimps; like the one I had in the foreground.

Sprinkle a pinch of topping on each muffin, then bake 18 minutes.
Cool in pan 5 minutes then remove to wire rack.

Why did I take a picture of the muffin in my hand instead of in the pan? Uhhh, I was not about to let this scrumptious little sucker go. Take one bite and see what happens to you!

Too late to hide the evidence. Smile.

This recipe makes 2 dozen muffins. Round 2 I got creative and added a few Craisins to each muffin before baking.

To me personally, they look better without the creative addition. There are plenty of Craisins on the inside for you to enjoy.

I whipped up another batch using mashed strawberries and bananas-FORGOT to add in the applesauce-and guess what? They came out great, moist and ever so tasty!


Strawberry and Banana (Oil and Applesauce free) Muffins.
Okay, so I can never wait and take a picture of the finished product without popping one in my mouth first. Sorry. You'll understand why once you make these. Enjoy!

Happy Thursday, my fabulous BakingBeauties and Handsomes! Thank you for stopping by. Remember, it's always best to say it with cake! Love, CattyCakes the BakingBeauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment