Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Come rain, sleet or TORNADO!

That's right-TORNADO! I live in San Diego, CA and most of the County is on Tornado Warning. We have storm #3 and #4 heading our way today. A tornado in sunny southern California just doesn't seem right. Thank God we made it through yesterday's storm!

Because of the crazy weather and flashing news warnings running along the bottom of my TV screen, I didn't make it out to the grocery store to pick up all of the yummy ingredients I need to make Great Aunt Willie Mae's Red Velvet Cake. That is today's goal! Tornado or not I WILL make it down to Von's grocery store and bake the cake I've promised! Just to get keep you tuned in, I'm posting the list of ingredients you will need. If you have some, all or none-great! Follow me to the grocery store, pick up what you need and let's get our BAKING on! Baking Beauties around the world unite! Take a nice hot steamy shower, put ur face on, throw your hair up (no loose hairs in our yummy cakes-oh no!) and let's grove tonight! I mean, let's bake. LOL.

On today's menu: GAWM's (Great Aunt Willie Mae's) Red Velvet Cake and Cookie Pops. I'll post the recipe for the Cookie Pops just as soon as I pick one I like and feel I can follow. I promised Elle Reed, aka WonderChick, aka ElleSpeak, aka SugarCoatednCo...that I would make cookie pops she can make in hot weathered Hawaii. I'm going to give her a proper shout out later today when I get all of her fabulous links together. In the meantime, google her! It's so worth it. Just google Elle Reed or ElleSpeak. You can follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Myspace or online at www.igrewup.org. igrewup is a Women's Social Network she started to unite us lovely ladies, keep us connected and allow us a forum to work together to make our dreams come true. I encourage you all to join in on the fun and help us all to move forward. As she says, "It's not what you know, but WHO you know!" I agree. I know I need to post this recipe, jump in the shower and get to Von's otherwise this storm is going to get me!

Great Aunt Willie Mae's Red Velvet Cake with a CattyCakes twist!

Shopping List:
1 Cup Buttermilk
2 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil (I've used Canola Oil and it comes out the same)
2 eggs (I always use the large size)
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 bottle red food coloring (get the 2oz size or 2 of the 1oz size-add until desired color)
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring

For GAWM's Yummy Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 8oz block of cream cheese (ONLY PHILADELPHIA ORIGINAL)
1 sack of powdered sugar (you'll want the sack for this recipe)

Bakeware:
1 Tall thick Bundt pan (for a bundt cake shape)
1 Tall deep Angel Food Cake pan (for Angel Food Cake shape-see my 1st posting for pics)
or Cupcake Pan for cupcakes

Okay Baking Beauties-err Handsomes if your not a beauty-we're off!

Here's a not so great picture of the inside of how the cake should look. My apologies for the poor picture quality.


and another


Pictures of the ingredients, process, and finished product to follow...Until bake time, have a fabulous day! Remember, it's always best to say it with cake! ~CattyCakes

4 comments:

  1. You're awesome girl....love it love it love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out! I am sooooo making these too! fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't forget your PROPER Shout out! I'm still learning this whole blog thing. Any tips on posting your links?

    ReplyDelete